VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Debates: live feeding vs Frozen food.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lilithlee

PostSubject: Debates: live feeding vs Frozen food.    Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:16 am

Are FRIENDLY debates okay here? You didn't have separt thread thingie for it so I"m not sure. If this is agaisnt the rules please take down.

I don't own anything thing that need live food; but grew up with a couple of snakes. They eat live mice. It's what they ate; I never thought anything differently about it....

There are some that say feeding live is wrong; feeding frozen it the way to go. Ok, here what I don't get, and I really mean this! Whether, I use live or frozen isn't the end results the same? One feed snake, one dead animal?

Also, I know some snake get HUGE how do you feed live or frozen for that matter?

Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Debates: live feeding vs Frozen food.    Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:01 am

I feed live, because that is what my snakes take more readily and more willingly. Granted, I have BPs, who are notorious for being picky.

Live always works for me, however I appreciate how inconvenient it is. When feeding frozen, if a prey item is not wanted, it can simply be refrozen (at least once), whereas a live animal has to be housed, fed, watered; and offered again at a later date.

I have a few who will take frozen, but I have at least 4 out of my 9 who will absolutely refuse to eat f/t or p/k prey.

I understand the risks involved and I usually stun or kill the prey before offering it (depending on the snake and its individual picky-ness). Most people who are opposed to live feeding take either the 'inhumane' or the 'risk' objective. Inhumane being that it is unfair to the rodent, and risk being that a live rodent can damage a reptile irreversibly and fatally. I see both points, and I supervise each of my feedings and intervene when necessary. My snakes have never been wounded and the rodents have never suffered unnecessarily.

I think, for the most part, as long as a snake is eating and you are deriving no individual pleasure from watching an animal (i.e., prey item) suffer, you're correct, it doesn't really matter.

I do believe that f/t is easier for large snakes like Burms or Rocks or Anacondas, etc. Prey that large can be harder or more dangerous to offer live or p/k. But since I do not currently own any large species (thought lately, I'm dying for the room for a Burm), I'll let someone more knowledgeable answer Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/siobhan.sprouse
Grymm
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Debates: live feeding vs Frozen food.    Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:18 am

Personally i feed frozen thawed most of the time. The convenience factor is what i like about it the most. I do have a few that will only eat live and that's what they get. I've been considering switching to feeding live most of the time and f/t occasionally or all live but haven't decided. I like the ability to just refreeze an unwanted meal but now that I'm breeding my own rats housing the unwanted meal isn't so bad.
I've also read alot about how freezing a rodent is supposed to kill any parasites it may have.
My biggest concern in the end with feeding live would be the safety of my snake. I haven't had a rat go after any of my snakes yet but i do watch them as close as i can.
I do think ill stick to feeding my retic f/t all his life. Hes just a baby now but when hes older I dont wanna have to deal with a live rabbit if he decides not to eat it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.grymmexotics.com/
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Debates: live feeding vs Frozen food.    Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:22 am

Grymm wrote:

I do think ill stick to feeding my retic f/t all his life. Hes just a baby now but when hes older I dont wanna have to deal with a live rabbit if he decides not to eat it.

That's what I was talking about. With rabbits and piglets, etc., large prey just gets too inconvenient to risk live feeding. Not to mention, a rabbit or piglet is way harder to house than a rat if the snake should refuse it lol
Back to top Go down
Grymm
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Debates: live feeding vs Frozen food.    Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:26 am

Yeah I couldn't imagine trying to house that sucker nor would I want to. lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.grymmexotics.com/
Lilithlee

PostSubject: Re: Debates: live feeding vs Frozen food.    Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:56 am

I never thought about house the prey item, don't know why? All of this is very interesting!
Back to top Go down
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Debates: live feeding vs Frozen food.    Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:54 am

I prefer feeding frozen thawed....mostly because I don't like to see any animal suffer. f/t is killed with carbon dioxide, you can save them at a certain size and not have to worry about the feeder outgrowing your animal, and you can refreeze.

and also because my corns won't kill the animal before they eat it.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Debates: live feeding vs Frozen food.    Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:11 am

I feed both. If my rodent colony production is down, then I feed f/t. I prefer live because that is easiest for me. Snakes that I sell get converted over to f/t.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Debates: live feeding vs Frozen food.    Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:49 am

I feed both. I would prefer to do all frozen just because of the live rodent care. And let's face it frozen in bulk is a lot cheaper. And no time spent on rodent care.
I've worked pet store for a vary long time probley the the number one question you get in a reptile room is "When to you feed the snakes" live feeding is something that people want to see.
Another thing I here is it so cute how can you feed it that. Friends I will tell the truth to and that's truth is I've been doing this so long that I don't even think about it. In stores I say this is what they eat.
A little off subject but still a part of the Live or Frozen debate.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Debates: live feeding vs Frozen food.    Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:02 am

I only feed F/T unless I'm trying to convert a new snake that's hunger striking over f/t. My choice is mainly convenience as I don't enjoy caring for live rodents (although I know that many snake keepers do enjoy that aspect) but I think that the actual feeding itself is more work with f/t then live.

I do think that feeding live is particularly painful to the rats but it's the natural way in the wild so I don't see how it could be inhumane. The natural world isn't a peaceful utopia and I don't know that it should be.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Debates: live feeding vs Frozen food.    Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:59 am

smd58 wrote:
I feed both. I would prefer to do all frozen just because of the live rodent care. And let's face it frozen in bulk is a lot cheaper. And no time spent on rodent care.

iagree

I wish I could switch all of mine to f/t. I've tried several times, but my Lesser girl, one of my normal girls, my new Bee boy, and my adult Spider boy absolutely REFUSE to look twice at f/t. I can sometimes get away with p/k with them, except the normal girl. She was my first snake and she has never been interested in anything not moving.

I hate taking care of rodents. They're expensive, they're noisy, they smell..... Frozen is so much cheaper and more painless. I wish my guys would eat f/t. Plus, I really don't enjoy watching them die by snake. It is part of nature, so I'm not horribly disturbed by it or anything, it's just not particularly pleasant to witness.

The one snake I had that I ALWAYS fed f/t, no matter what, was the Cal King male I recently sold. There was a time when my ex had a live rat pup in with the lesser girl and she snubbed it and he threw it into the Cal King's tank. It was so small that the King ate it without killing it first, which was most definitely NOT pleasant. Not to mention, when my ex fed him live, he always had to intervene. Ra (The kingsnake, I called him 'Amon Ra, the Demon Thing' lol) was horrible at striking and constricting. Whenever I fed him, he ALWAYS got f/t, as he was so bad at killing live, killing humanely, and because he was so aggressive already.
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Debates: live feeding vs Frozen food.    Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:29 pm

I feed live for a few reasons:

I think it is more natural for the animal eating it, and as far as the prey wounding the animal, I watch until the animal is dead and going down safely. I feed mostly pinkie mice so there isn't much harm they can do anyway.

I don't have the time or the want to deal with frozen rats or mice (it's gross to me, I deal with it at work I don't want to at home)

The only snake I have won't touch f/t. I tried a few times, just because my husband didn't like the live feeding, but Xavier wouldn't take them.

Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Debates: live feeding vs Frozen food.    Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:51 pm

smd58 wrote:
I've worked pet store for a vary long time probley the the number one question you get in a reptile room is "When to you feed the snakes" live feeding is something that people want to see.
Another thing I here is it so cute how can you feed it that. Friends I will tell the truth to and that's truth is I've been doing this so long that I don't even think about it. In stores I say this is what they eat.
A little off subject but still a part of the Live or Frozen debate.

you tell em'! i agree with that though.. i wish i could do all f/t but i dont have time to heat them up and let them "defrost" lol.. i'd rather just throw it in there, and it me down the snakes stomach in a couple minutes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Debates: live feeding vs Frozen food.    

Back to top Go down

Debates: live feeding vs Frozen food.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1