VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Night Crawlers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Night Crawlers   Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:57 am

I've been to a few area pet stores (mainly Petco and Petsmart because that is all we have around here) to get night crawlers. I want to start a colony of them so I can breed/raise them to feed to my pacman frog, and also give my mother in law some fishing bait. Every time I go to the stores, they either have batches of dead night crawlers or they simply don't have any.

Would the night crawlers you get from a bait shop be any different? Are they safe to use to feed to frogs? I figure, if they are safe enough to feed to wild fish, then they should be fine to feed to pacman frogs. But I wanted an opinion here before I went out and got a bunch of them.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Night Crawlers   Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:16 pm

I have a feeling the night crawlers you get from the area pet stores come from the same supplier that supplies the bait shops. Most of the large feeder business supply both pet stores and bait shops.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Kittiekat149
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Night Crawlers   Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:02 pm

Brian is right. They both come from the same supplier. That is why I buy mine from bait shops. They are a lot cheaper there and my Pacman is still alive and healthy after 6 or 7 years of being fed them. Smile
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Night Crawlers   Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:32 pm

Thanks! I'll head to the bait shop today then. Smile From what I've read, you just toss them in a bucket with some ventilation holes on the side and provide them with stuff to munch on (and a little soil) and they'll grow and breed without much effort.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
chaosjace

PostSubject: Re: Night Crawlers   Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:26 pm

Yup they are very easy to breed. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Night Crawlers   Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:16 pm

Alot of people add them to their compost piles and turn the soil over every once in a while and they do really well. I had someone give me a gallon ziplock full of them after she turned over the compost in her pile (to add new stuff in).
Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Night Crawlers   Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:57 pm

ClarkeReptiles wrote:
I've been to a few area pet stores (mainly Petco and Petsmart because that is all we have around here) to get night crawlers. I want to start a colony of them so I can breed/raise them to feed to my pacman frog, and also give my mother in law some fishing bait. Every time I go to the stores, they either have batches of dead night crawlers or they simply don't have any.

Would the night crawlers you get from a bait shop be any different? Are they safe to use to feed to frogs? I figure, if they are safe enough to feed to wild fish, then they should be fine to feed to pacman frogs. But I wanted an opinion here before I went out and got a bunch of them.

you'd be surprised what is safe to feed wild fish that i wouldnt advise giving to your p.m. frog though. lol not saying these, of course, but some other things.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Night Crawlers   

Back to top Go down

Night Crawlers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Husbandry Discussion Forums :: Feeding and Feeders-
Jump to: