VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

eastern mud turtle (Kinosternon subrubrum subrubrum) pairing with other aquatic turts?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KrZxBleach

PostSubject: eastern mud turtle (Kinosternon subrubrum subrubrum) pairing with other aquatic turts?   Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:23 pm

came across a guy trying to get rid of one of thie eastern mud turt. says he found it injured or stressed; tail is missing. slight pitting of top shell. hes about 6-8". could i house it with a sideneck? im afraid hes going to let this thing go back in to the wild and it may not be able to care for itself. it is a real beauty in my opinion. thinkin should i go get it?
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: eastern mud turtle (Kinosternon subrubrum subrubrum) pairing with other aquatic turts?   Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:01 am

Are you sure it is an eastern mud? The average straight line carapace length for the eastern mud is 2.75 - 4 inches, the record length is 4.84 inches. see: http://www.virginiaherpetologicalsociety.com/reptiles/turtles/va-turtle-measurements.pdf

Mud turtle are tough animals. We often find them missing limbs and still doing well. It is legal for the person to release the turtle where it was found if it has been in captivity for less than 30 days and shows no signs of illness.

Housing species from different continents is not recommended. According to this site Pelomedusa is aggressive towards other turtles: http://www.pelomedusa.com/Husbandry.html
Back to top Go down

eastern mud turtle (Kinosternon subrubrum subrubrum) pairing with other aquatic turts?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1