VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

First time Gecko owner

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
aco

PostSubject: First time Gecko owner   Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:11 pm

My new flat tailed gecko was dumped off behind an animal shelter along with a bearded dragon. I purchased a 30 gallon breeder tank with sand in the bottom it also has bowls in all 4 corners 2 that he sleeps in and one I hung a suction plant over for him to hide. he also has 3 different types of wood in the cage to crawl under and over along with old hermit crab shells for decoration. I have 2 different lights on him 1 is the box light with 2 UVB bulbs and then another light for heat. His cage temp is average 80 degrees. He gets live crickets and freeze dried with the occational dusting. Could you tell me if I am missing anything? also I was told by the pet store I took him to to have him sexed said he is a boy and I would like to get anothr one, should I stay with the same type of can I mix the leapard and flat tails? I was told not to get another male to avoid fights is this true too? Thank you for any help and input to make sure my new little buddy is safe, happy and healthy.
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: First time Gecko owner   Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:36 pm

hey geckos can be alot of fun to watch and they are relatively easy to breed. Its true about males they will fight and do some serious damage to each other. I dont recommend sand though. It can cause gut impaction. I prefer to use cage liners for them. You can buy the ones from the pet stores or u can use outdoor carpet from lowes. Make sure you get the thin ones that dont have to much insulation. they will cut it to ur specs. And lighting isnt necessary unless your breeding. geckos are nocturnal. And here is a real biggie with geckos, u need a hide that can be sprayed down and kept moist. that will help the gecko shed and keep it from losing toes. For the hide u can buy a shedding hide (also used for egg laying). Or u can make ur own out of any pastic container like coffee cans or little rubbermaid containers for sandwiches. As long as ur container can hold moisture it should work. Just make sure your gecko can get in and out. And use some kind of substrate in the hide to hold moisture. Another tactic that works well is to have a hot side of the tank and a cool side so the gecko can thermoregulate. You can use an undertank heater for this and just place it on the far right or left making one side hot and the other cool and put the water bowl on the cool side. And feel free to hit me up with any questions about any advice ive given or if you have any other questions. And good luck I hope your new gecko does well
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: First time Gecko owner   Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:39 pm

It was a rescued gecko that got my wife and I into reptiles. So, watch out! They're addictive.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
aco

PostSubject: Re: First time Gecko owner   Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:10 pm

He is very cute which is why I decided to keep him, now I would like to be sure I am doing everything right for him and would like to add a couple more to the tank, I love feeding him at night just before I go to bed when he is most active and sit and watch him eat. He always wags his tail before he pounces.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: First time Gecko owner   Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:39 pm

Welcome to the site!

Can you clarify if you have a fat tailed gecko or a flat tailed gecko? They have different care requirements.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
aco

PostSubject: Re: First time Gecko owner   Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:42 pm

OH I am sorry he is a Fat Tail gecko, he looks like a push me pull me...lol
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: First time Gecko owner   Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:06 pm

Okay, I thought he was when you mentioned leopard geckos but wanted to be sure.

aco wrote:
My new flat tailed gecko was dumped off behind an animal shelter along with a bearded dragon. I purchased a 30 gallon breeder tank with sand in the bottom it also has bowls in all 4 corners 2 that he sleeps in and one I hung a suction plant over for him to hide. he also has 3 different types of wood in the cage to crawl under and over along with old hermit crab shells for decoration. I have 2 different lights on him 1 is the box light with 2 UVB bulbs and then another light for heat. His cage temp is average 80 degrees. He gets live crickets and freeze dried with the occational dusting. Could you tell me if I am missing anything? also I was told by the pet store I took him to to have him sexed said he is a boy and I would like to get anothr one, should I stay with the same type of can I mix the leapard and flat tails? I was told not to get another male to avoid fights is this true too? Thank you for any help and input to make sure my new little buddy is safe, happy and healthy.

No, you shouldn't mix them with leopard geckos (different care requirements) or other males. A 30 gallon breeder is large enough for at least a couple other females for him though. I would ditch the heat lamp and uvb lights and instead get a good quality UTH with a rheostat to control the temperature. Your hot side should be as high as 88 and the cool side can drop to the low 70s. Leave just a regular flourescent light on during the day (could use the UVB bulb until it burns out) since they don't need UVB.

I agree that sand (although great for leopard geckos) is not the best for fat tails. They are tropical and require a humid habitat. I have read that a mixture of peat moss and vermiculite works well or even repti carpet if you keep the tank humid.

This company is known for their fat tailed geckos and have a really great caresheet:

http://jmgreptile.com/fattailcare.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First time Gecko owner   

Back to top Go down

First time Gecko owner
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1