VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Eels! Just picked up a gold dust moray eel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thibo703
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Eels! Just picked up a gold dust moray eel   Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:11 pm

So my love of snakes has carried over to my aquatic passion.. In one tank I have 2 common peacock eels, and in the other I have a Gold dust moray eel.

The Moray:

The Peacocks:
Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Eels! Just picked up a gold dust moray eel   Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:43 pm

nice! you keep african cichlids? where did you get your gold dust moray? nice choice by the way
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Eels! Just picked up a gold dust moray eel   Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:06 pm

Nice! I love eels.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Eels! Just picked up a gold dust moray eel   Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:40 pm

Gorgeous!!!!
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Eels! Just picked up a gold dust moray eel   Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:53 pm

Very nice!! Congrats on the new additions
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Eels! Just picked up a gold dust moray eel   Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:08 am

Beautiful!
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Eels! Just picked up a gold dust moray eel   Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:22 am

Cool fish! I also like eels.
Back to top Go down
Thibo703
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Eels! Just picked up a gold dust moray eel   Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:28 am

Yea I have a 55g male peacock cichlid display tank and a big ol Oscar monster tank.. The peacock eels are with the Africans (even though the eels are Asian, they're identical to the hard to find African peacock eel). The moray is with the Oscar because believe it or not, I trust it to now get attacked and be less stressed in that tank for now..
Even though they are called "freshwater" and were caught there, it is more a brackish water fish and needs it to thrive and not risk health issues and loss of appetite. I might get the brackish water puffer I've always wanted after all lol. When I get to my laptop I'll post a pic of the tank.
Thanks for the interest guys.. Apparently these guys pop up every once in a while, I found it while getting an emergency feeder (I ran out and my guy was out too) at fin and feather.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Eels! Just picked up a gold dust moray eel   Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:00 pm

Thibo703 wrote:
The moray is with the Oscar because believe it or not, I trust it to now get attacked and be less stressed in that tank for now..
Should that be: "I trust it to not get attacked" ?

Have a few eel pics:

Dragon Moray Eel

Green Moray Eel

Zebra Moray (left) Whitemouth Moray Eel (right)

Electric Eel
Back to top Go down
Thibo703
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Eels! Just picked up a gold dust moray eel   Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:04 pm

Yes, that was "Not get attacked". But it will soon have its own brackish tank.. Actually I fed it some shrimp on my way out today and it was the coolest thing ever, time to start teaching it some tricks Wink Now almost all the eels you posted above are saltwater eels except for the electric and I was contemplating one of those for a while (I know a guy who goes on collection trips).. I'm not at a point in my life where I can properly care for one of those yet. However there are a few cool (and much cheaper than saltwater) "Freshwater" (Brackishwater) eels that are much tamer, grow less and make good beautiful pets. As a tank mate im looking into getting a snowflake eel.
Back to top Go down
Thibo703
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Eels! Just picked up a gold dust moray eel   Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:15 pm

Some snowflake moray eels:

The key here is that I really specifically like moray eels and most are only saltwater. I'm not going saltwater yet but I'll do brackish just for that..

I'll post a feeding video of mine when I get back from vacation..(Hopefully It'll get hungry enough to try to eat my gf's b*tchy little convict thats in there..)
Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Eels! Just picked up a gold dust moray eel   Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:00 pm

whee did you get your gold dust from?
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Eels! Just picked up a gold dust moray eel   Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:08 pm

Interesting, I assumed that all moray eels were saltwater fish.
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Eels! Just picked up a gold dust moray eel   Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:09 pm

I could have sworn that snowflakes are saltwater....thats how we sold ours at fin and feather way back when i used to work there and we had a bad a** saltwater section and reptile section for that matter.
Back to top Go down
Thibo703
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Eels! Just picked up a gold dust moray eel   Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:01 am

Bobbykaizer wrote:
whee did you get your gold dust from?
From Fin and Feather over by lakeside.. They sold it to me as a "Freshwater Moray Eel"

And I think the snowflake is more so saltwater than the gold dust and both can survive in freshwater but both should be in a saltwater environment in the long run. They can and do venture out into freshwater for one reason or another especially when young (I suspect they are spawned towards the freshwater areas) and are caught in freshwater and sold to pet stores as "Freshwater Moray Eels" however there is no such thing.. As the eels grow they NEED saltwater period or they will perish. I wanted to do a fish and live rock only saltwater tank and I think I just found my fish! ->The snowflake and the gold dust.
Either way, the first sign on an unhappy moray is they wont eat and since putting it in brachishishish (only slightly salty to start) water, first time feeding was un-hesitated and came back for seconds! I imagine they had it in straight freshwater at the store and the salt was like a "breath of fresh air" I was so relieved after reading all the troubles people had keeping them in near fresh water.
I will be slowly increasing the salinity as the eel grows. I think that is most natural and I will keep monitoring its demeanor.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Eels! Just picked up a gold dust moray eel   Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:33 am

Thanks for the information.
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Eels! Just picked up a gold dust moray eel   Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:53 am

I have a drilled 40 breeder that I used for a reef aquarium long ago that I have yet to set up again due to time. I would be willing to sell the whole setup to you if you are looking to do the saltwater setup like you are speaking of. I have the skimmer and sump and all. It would be perfect for what you have, you could even do what I did and put some coral in it but obviously that would be impossible to do with eels in it. PM me if your interested. I have to take it all out of storage and see exactly what I have and what the value of all of it would be.
Back to top Go down
Thibo703
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Eels! Just picked up a gold dust moray eel   Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:10 pm

Ah thanks for the offer Docwade84, but I already have 2 big aquatiums in an apartment and I just wouldnt have the space for a 40 breeder.. I would maybe be interested in your skimmer, but I trying to avoid the big saltwater setup. I'm part of AquaticFriendsUnited which is a good local aquatic forum. I'm think im going to try to find like a 20 long to put on my desk. I'm not sure, I have a friend who sets up reef tanks professionally so I probably need to consult with him.. Thanks for all the interest and input guys..

Is anyone going to the expo this weekend.. I'm going to try to catch the tail end of Sunday, but I'll be away the rest of the weekend..
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Eels! Just picked up a gold dust moray eel   Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:14 pm

I would look for a 20H before I did a 20L?? I think they would like the height more so than the length since they normally stay in a crevice in the live rock....just putting some other thoughts out there for ya. Let me know if you are interested in the skimmer. It needs to be in a sump though, its not able to hang on the side of a tank.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eels! Just picked up a gold dust moray eel   

Back to top Go down

Eels! Just picked up a gold dust moray eel
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1