VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Moving Female - A feeding question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Moving Female - A feeding question   Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:53 am

I have a very picky eater named Shane. She is a 2006 female and is just over 1000g. She would put herself on feeding strikes all of the time and would only eat live small rats or rat weans. She currently lives in a 16qt tub. She has lived in larger tubs before but never ate or ate very rarely. I put her in a 16 and she began eating live small rats on a weekly basis. It was like magic. I was even able to switch her to frozen/thawed small rats and those she eats on a weekly basis as well. She is now gaining weight and eats like a machine.

So here's my problem. Now that she's eating, she will start to gain weight. When she starts to gain weight she will eventually outgrow the space in a 16qt. She's already looking so cramped. I worry that if I move her, she'll stop eating again, but she can't stay in the 16qt forever.

I have an empty 32qt in the same rack that I could move her into. I could also put her in a 28qt in a different rack. With her weight just around 1000g (could be up to 1100g at this point. I have not weighed her recently), would you risk moving her? Or should I give her some more time in the 16qt and get her weight up a bit more?
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Don

PostSubject: Re: Moving Female - A feeding question   Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:34 am

I'd move her, but make it seem small to her until she feels comfortable. First, I'd make sure she had a hide. Then you can take shredded newspaper and kind of fill one end of the tub up (but not too tight or too much). Get her to eat and gradually remove some of the shredded newspaper each week until it is gone and she continues to eat.

Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Moving Female - A feeding question   Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:42 am

Knowing how she is I'd be sorely tempted to cut a hole in a 16 and cut the top down and slide it as is into the largest tub I had.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Moving Female - A feeding question   Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:03 pm

Thanks to both Don and BlackboxStar. She just seems so huge for that size tub. I will try and move her this weekend.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moving Female - A feeding question   

Back to top Go down

Moving Female - A feeding question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1