VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Possible RI

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Possible RI   Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:58 pm

I've got an adult female that I've had for a little over 3 weeks now. When she first came to me, she had a really wet mouth. After two and a half weeks of the proper temp and humidity, it cleared up, and I saw no problems from her at all. A few days ago, my roommate's cat found his way into my room and unplugged my snake rack by scooting behind it. Evil or Very Mad

I was away on a night shift at the time, so I didn't figure it out until 8 am the next morning. I don't know how long it went unplugged, but it's been hot here (as I'm sure you all know), so it was only down to around the low to mid 80's. Everyone else seems perfectly fine, and I got the temp back up gradually over the course of the day and next night. However, the poor big girl seems to have relapsed into a possible RI. She has the wet mouth back and is bubbling around the front when she flicks her tongue. Since she had problems before, a vet visit is absolutely obvious, as I DO NOT want her to get worse. She is back at the proper (slightly higher) heat and humidity for right now and I pulled her out of the rack and have her in a tank in the next room, so I can keep an eye on her better and also to reduce the risk of cross-contamination.

Anyway, I'm getting her to the vet later this week, but I had a few questions for anyone:

1) I know that Wellesley Animal Hospital is linked as the preferred Richmond reptile vet, but has anyone dealt with Church Hill Animal Hospital for exotics? Their site says they treat reptiles and I know a number of people (ranging from friends to customers, as I work with dogs), who have had fantastic experiences there and say that the staff, especially Dr. Jack herself, are amazing and that the pricing and payment plans are incredibly reasonable. I didn't know if anyone here had had any positive results from them, and I wanted to check, as they are very close to me, and like I said, I know a lot of people who have had good luck with fuzzy pets there.

2) If I choose Wellesley instead, does anyone know how their pricing is or if they offer payment plans (and how fair those may be)? My earnings are hardly lucrative, and I want my girl to get better, but if I am forced to drop hundreds on her all at one time, then I leave myself no budget at all for the next two weeks, since my pets get priority on food money Smile

If anyone has any info at all, I would really, really appreciate it. I felt so bad for this girl, so I did that stupid thing that herpers do where they take an obvious project on Rolling Eyes I really want her to feel better, she is so sweet.

Here is the girl in question Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/siobhan.sprouse
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Possible RI   Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:11 am

never dealt with an RI - you say you have had her for about 3 weeks now and when you got her she had the wet mouth thing, have you contacted the person you got her from first to see if he/she had any issues with her??
Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Possible RI   Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:41 pm

some signs of RI are bubbly mouth, like foamy. also when she breathes, if you listen close you should hear a crackling like sound. if you ever come down to vb ask joe at animal jungle if he can check it out for ya. he knows exactly what he's doing
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Possible RI   Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:47 pm

Early stages may be able to be treated with S10 and a nubilizer. I'm at 30k feet right now so don't have access to the link, but look for snakebyteTV episode about sick snakes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Possible RI   Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:11 pm

Thanks, you guys.

I got her from someone who knew really nothing about snakes. She was slightly bubbly at the mouth. I asked about it, and he said 'Oh, it's just something she does. She sits in water a lot." When I asked how long she'd been doing it, he didn't have an answer. She was also underweight Sad The drooling cleared up just keeping her at the right temperature, so I'm guessing he just had it too cold for her. Now she's back at the right temps and humidity and she's still 'drooly,' especially when she's scenting for food, then she has actual bubbles at the corners of her mouth.

So far, no rasping while breathing or stargazing or open-mouth breathing, but I'm still worried and I don't want it to completely blow up into a horrible URI, so I'm hoping a vet can get it taken care of first.

@Don, thanks for that, I'll look for the video right now Smile
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Possible RI   Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:49 pm

Well keep us posted and hopefully you quarantined her upon receipt of her. I know you stated you had removed her from the rack and put her into a tank in another room, but just curious if you QT'd when you received her???

As for the person you received her from, does he have other snakes in his possession or was this just like a pet kind of thing?

Hopefully everything clears up and she is ok.
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Possible RI   Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:20 pm

She was a singular pet, as far as I know, he didn't mention anything about others... So hopefully no... Ugh.

And yeah, she's been in QT since I got her. She never really came out. She was at the bottom of the rack, under an empty level, with daily tub and water cleaning, and if I was planning on handling her, I either didn't handle the other snakes at all or I took care of the rest of them first, leaving her absolutely last. Since she just kind of had the snuffles and I was extra careful to never put her anywhere NEAR the other snakes and to disinfect everything (including myself) between all the snakes, I wasn't majorly concerned with her being in the rack. The next snake above her was my other adult healthy female who has never had a health problem in her life and is completely robust and a killer eater.

When the other girl's URI started to clear up, I was hoping she would be okay. Needless to say, a certain kitty is never allowed in my room again..... >:|

I did have one picture of her next to my other girl for my other girl's color comparison. It was about a week after she had had ANY signs of mucous in the mouth, drooling, bubbling etc. It was probably stupid, but my other girl still has absolutely no signs at all of any health problems.

Even now, the big girl is not bad, but if every temp dip is going to send the poor thing relapsing, I'm going to go ahead and keep her away from everyone else and try the fogging method. Bah. Noob keeper mistakes left and right :c

I found the video at Snakebytes and I'm looking at the pricing on all of the things I need now. Thanks for the input, you guys. She really is sweet and she's obviously been through a lot. The scary part is that she's been bred while in her previous owner's possession, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable wound up with the babies. :/

I'll definitely update as I get the things I need for her, I'm budgeting it all out right now. She seems to be having fun leaving booger trails on the sides of her tank every night for me, but she is active and hungry and alert. She doesn't seem to be having any trouble or discomfort while breathing, so I'm thinking this is still really early stages.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Possible RI   Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:19 pm

Was she in the same rack as the rest of your collection? If so, this is not proper QT. QT should be in a completely seperate cage, in a different room of your house. Ideally, this would be as far from the main collection as possible. And this QT should be at a minimum of 30 days. Personally, I QT for 60-90 depending on the animal's source.

She definitely needs a vet. Increasing humidity and temperature slightly can help loosen the mucus but I wouldn't do it too often. Get her a vet appointment asap. When one of my rescues had a RI the vet visit with medication cost us under $100.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Possible RI   Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Yeah, I'm still thinking of taking her, just because it would be my first time using the nebulizing technique.

At any rate, at least I know all of this next time. No one else has any signs of anything at all, but still, next time QT in the next room. That's where the two new kids are anyway...

At least she didn't have mites. :/
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Possible RI   Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:18 pm

That would have been a disaster if she'd had mites. I have a 2nd full bathroom in my apartment that we do not use. I use that room as my QT room.

Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Possible RI   Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:01 pm

The house we're currently in is very small, so while my snakes are in my room, the two new babies are QT'd in the living room, and she is in the kitchen.

Snakes everywhere!!

We had a horrible problem with mites years ago, when my ex and I kept colubrids. I hate mites so, so very much :c
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Possible RI   Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:01 pm

@ClarkeReptiles, if you don't mind my asking, what vet did you use, if they are in the area?
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Possible RI   Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:10 am

Cardinal Animal Hospital near Chesterfield Town Center.

I have to say though, I would not recommend going to her. When I took my boy Ross in there for a RI, the vet tech and I had to convince her he had an RI because WE could hear him wheeze and whistle but she couldn't. If I remember correctly the visit and meds totaled at around $75 (this was in 2008). I haven't taken a snake to her since but there are not many exotic vets here in Richmond so if you can't find a reptile vet close to you, Cardinal might be your best option.
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Possible RI   Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:23 pm

Alright, I'm going to call Church Hill Animal Hospital and Wellesley Animal Hospital today to find out what procedures they take. Thanks for the advice Smile
Back to top Go down
Kittiekat149
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Possible RI   Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:56 pm

Locke A Taylor has a few exotics vets there. All of them are really good and the prices are way lower then every other exotics vet I have gone too.
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Possible RI   Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:01 pm

Awesome! Another place to add to the list of calls. Thank you Smile
Back to top Go down
Kittiekat149
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Possible RI   Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:19 pm

You"re welcome. I hope she kicks the RI fast. Keep us updated on how it goes. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible RI   

Back to top Go down

Possible RI
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: General Discussion Forums :: Snake/Lizard/Gecko Discussion-
Jump to: