VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

To Handle or Not To Handle that is the ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cp3_Pythons
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: To Handle or Not To Handle that is the ?   Mon May 21, 2012 1:39 pm

I hate well dislike typing so cryingwithlaughter I'm going to try and make this short and simple...

For the past six months I've decided to not handle my Bp's as much ( I only handle them when I'm either cleaning there cages or taking picture's of them ) even then when I'm cleaning I don't handle them pick em up put em in new tub... Basically there not getting any real human attention. While doing this I've noticed that the picky eater's I had aren't being picky anymore, and the good eater's well there now eating like chainsaw's. I know there may and more than likely is a downside to doing things the way I'm doing like no human attention there not used to being handled so when handling them there is more of a chance of getting bit...

I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this and what could be other downside's in everyone else's opinion's ... I figure if I can find other input on what could possibly be other downside's I can try and find a way to deal with them without breaking what I'm doing.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: To Handle or Not To Handle that is the ?   Mon May 21, 2012 3:56 pm

I do not handle the majority of my snakes. The only handling they get is during cleaning, weighing, or if they are being moved to a different tub. I have found that the decrease in handling has also assisted with getting some of my pickier snakes to eat. Currently I have no snakes that are considered non-feeding snakes. There is always the exception of the missed meal during a shed cycle.

I do find that my snakes are a little more jumpy with handling and my boa (who has always been as tame/harmless as a puppy) recently bit one of my friends while he handled her. I used to handle her a lot and may begin handling her more often as she does seem to like coming out and being active. With ball pythons though, I see more benefits to handling less than handling more.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: To Handle or Not To Handle that is the ?   Mon May 21, 2012 5:39 pm

yes. we try to handle ours as little as possible. it stresses them very much when handled although they are very docile snakes which is why people have them as pets. when you handle them it can definitley make them become more susceptable to missing meals.. the less handling, the happier the snake Smile
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: To Handle or Not To Handle that is the ?   Mon May 21, 2012 5:58 pm

I figure, I would feel more comfortable sitting down to my evening meal if I didn't have to worry about a giant lifting the roof off my house every day and picking me up to show me to his friends.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: To Handle or Not To Handle that is the ?   Mon May 21, 2012 7:09 pm

precisely.
Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: To Handle or Not To Handle that is the ?   Mon May 21, 2012 7:09 pm

if thats how you spell it lol
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: To Handle or Not To Handle that is the ?   Wed May 23, 2012 11:17 am

I only handle them during maintenance and occasionally to show someone. As much as I love my BP's, they just aren't that enjoyable to hold Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: To Handle or Not To Handle that is the ?   Wed May 23, 2012 12:26 pm

We have a few that I enjoy to hold... we have others that I only hold while their tubs are being cleaned... and if they appear to be getting aggressive I try hold them a bit to calm them down... I really enjoy handling ours and finding neat markings or things about their individual personalities Wink Im crazy I suppose.

We haven't really had any issues with eating unless they were in shed or breeding time. Hmm..
Back to top Go down
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: To Handle or Not To Handle that is the ?   Wed May 23, 2012 12:33 pm

We are the opposite. Our snakes are handled daily unless they've eaten in the last 24 hours or are shedding. Barring something drastic they get lots of time being held.

If they go off feed we try to give them space but that honestly doesn't happen very often.

We have two ball pythons that actually seem to enjoy being held. When we walk into the room they will come out of their hides and they will come to the opening of their cages and look at us.
Back to top Go down
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: To Handle or Not To Handle that is the ?   Wed May 23, 2012 12:36 pm

It seems possible that snakes need one of two extremes to thrive.

A snake who is handled often and is used to it probably won't have feeding problems from being held,

a snake who is not handled at all probably also won't have feeding problems from being held,

however a snake who is not held often enough to be used to it, yet is still handled will probably be very stressed and that will almost certainly show in that snake's feeding.
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: To Handle or Not To Handle that is the ?   Wed May 23, 2012 9:15 pm

we also have snakes that seem to enjoy being handled. Almost all of ours actually. Select few come out when you walk in and circle their tubs until you open them then they come out and wait for you to pick them up... shows that they do have their own personalities I think... I think our bee female knows me.. not sure if its touch or what but only when I open her tub does she come zinging out to be held and hangs out with me and gives me snake kisses and just chills around my neck.... I open her tub and say "ms beebee!" and she comes out... shes my favorite
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: To Handle or Not To Handle that is the ?   Wed May 23, 2012 9:22 pm

We handle ours, especially babies. So far, we have had very few problems with eating.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: To Handle or Not To Handle that is the ?   Wed May 23, 2012 9:45 pm

BlackboxStar wrote:
It seems possible that snakes need one of two extremes to thrive.

A snake who is handled often and is used to it probably won't have feeding problems from being held,

a snake who is not handled at all probably also won't have feeding problems from being held,

however a snake who is not held often enough to be used to it, yet is still handled will probably be very stressed and that will almost certainly show in that snake's feeding.

I agree. that seems pretty close. also it seems like when adding a new snake to the rack they wont eat for a week or so after acclimation when first introduced to their new tub. anyone else get this??
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: To Handle or Not To Handle that is the ?   Wed May 23, 2012 10:36 pm

^ yup. Two just graduated from quarantine today and it was neat watching them check out the setups. They are due to eat but I'm going to wait until they look bored so I don't waste some F/T's.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: To Handle or Not To Handle that is the ?   Wed May 23, 2012 11:00 pm

i feel yah man! i wish i had my money back for everytime a snake refused a feeder! i'd have enough to buy an enchi pied het desert ghost fire vanilla pastel. just joking, but forreal it ads up... and if that hasnt been invented yet someone should make it.. sounds cool! ahaha
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: To Handle or Not To Handle that is the ?   Fri May 25, 2012 7:06 pm

I enjoy handling my reptiles, but I always go by the saying that reptiles aren't dogs are cats and even though they can handle the occasional handling, they do get stressed by it whether you think they do or not. Handling them just enough to keep them from becoming cage aggressive etc. is fine!! But they are not supposed to be carried everywhere you go....which I see from time to time and I want to hit the person upside their head (I know that this isn't the case in this thread....)
Back to top Go down
Jaded_Heart
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: To Handle or Not To Handle that is the ?   Sat May 26, 2012 6:32 pm

I handle some of my snakes more than others. My Woma I handle every day. SOME of my corns get pulled out daily. One of my corns however, I handle BRIEFLY once a week to move him to his feeding tub and that's it. Because he is a problem feeder and the less he's bothered, the better he is on feeding day. so I have noticed a HUGE connection on him specifically with feeding/handling
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/PrymalReptile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To Handle or Not To Handle that is the ?   

Back to top Go down

To Handle or Not To Handle that is the ?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: General Discussion Forums :: Snake/Lizard/Gecko Discussion-
Jump to: