VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Stuck Urates

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Stuck Urates   Sat May 19, 2012 3:26 pm

This has happened a few times with my snakes. The most recent occurances were to my big normal female (2300g) and my bumblebee male (100g+) With my normal female she was blocked up and had not pooped in weeks. I actually didn't realize she was backed up until I went to palpate her for follicles and she ended up letting it all go, onto my floor. lol!

Just today I went to check on my bumblebee male and noticed he was looking rather plump. He hasn't pooped in about 2-3 weeks and when I turned him over you could tell he was full of poop. I gently felt near his vent and felt a very large (you could actually see it), very hard urate. While I was getting together a tub to give him a soak to help coax it out, he actually started pushing it out while he was till in my hand. He had to strain a lot and I felt so bad for the little guy. Once he passed the urate, he passed a lot of dark, smelly liquid along with traces of feces. I put him in a tub with some clean paper towel and put him back in the rack. His belly still looked like it had some poop in it so I wanted to leave him be so he could pass the rest.

His vent looked very red after he passed the urate. I'm going to keep an eye on it. In the future, if I notice a blockage like this, what would be the best way of helping the snake? Is a warm bath the best, or just waiting for them to do it on their own? I'm going to check him when I get home to see if he passed the rest of the feces. Poor guy looked so uncomfortable. I'm also going to give him a week off from feeding to give him a rest.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Stuck Urates   Sun May 20, 2012 3:57 pm

i've heard the warm bath is definitely a good way to get it done. i would try that first and see if it works. make sure they have clean fresh water so they have plenty to drink
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Stuck Urates   Mon May 21, 2012 4:07 pm

My snakes always have fresh water. My smaller snakes tend to tip their water dishes a lot because I use very lightweight dishes. I just replaced 5 lightweight plastic dishes with heavier ceramic ones so hopefully this will help with that problem. It could have been he was tipping his water dish before getting enough to drink.
Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Stuck Urates   Mon May 21, 2012 5:36 pm

very possible, and yeah i use the ceramic ones. you can find them at dollar tree for (well obviously) a dollar lol. i have also seen breeders use pvs "cups". im not sure how they get them to stay down however.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Stuck Urates   Mon May 21, 2012 5:46 pm

Someone at the Manassas show was selling small ceramic water bowls for $0.50 each so I got 5 (that's all she had left by the time I arrived at her table.) I plan on replacing all of the bowls with ceramic ones.
Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Stuck Urates   Mon May 21, 2012 7:09 pm

nice, you gotta love good deals!
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Stuck Urates   Tue May 22, 2012 1:28 pm

alot of people use what they call a PVC Cleanout Cap for the water bowls. They can range in size and can be picked up from Lowe's or Home Depot.

I have started going to TJ Maxx and Marshalls and buy the dog/cat food/water bowls that only run like $2-$5 depending on the size.. and for our smaller snakes and soon to be hatchlings, I got some neat dishes at dollar tree that were actually in the baking dish section.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stuck Urates   

Back to top Go down

Stuck Urates
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1