VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Crested Gecko Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Crested Gecko Question   Tue May 15, 2012 9:20 am

My friend bought a young crested gecko from the Manassas Reptile show on Saturday. The gentleman at the table told my friend to feed the gecko mostly crickets as when they are young they are not as inclined to eat the CGD.

My friend has tried to feed him pinhead crickets but he's not going after them at all and he's not touching the CGD.

Any advice?

I can get details on the caging and environment if needed. I know that he is in a small plastic enclosure and my friend has added a small heating bad since the temperature in his house drops below 70 a lot.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Crested Gecko Question   Tue May 15, 2012 4:10 pm

Crickets should only be used as a treat for all cresteds!!! That is not to be an understatement lol. The CGD is probably being eaten, make sure you keep the little one in a small kritter keeper depending on the size of it and do not let temps get over 80. If it drops in the upper 60s at night that is fine. A day time of 70-78 is fine as well.

As far as knowing if it is eating or not, you will only see feces. I use small water bottle caps to put the repashy CGD in and you can't notice with most juvies if they have even touched it or not. Again, the only way to know is to keep it on paper towel and look for tiny little specks of feces.

Another factor to remember is that he just got him. Typically it can take geckos and reptiles in general up to two weeks for them to get used to their new enclosures. I recommend not handling the gecko for two weeks at least until it starts to eat some and then after that it should not be handled much even though they can tolerate a few minutes every day.

Make sure there are plenty of plants for it to hide in as well as a few pieces of bamboo, cork bark, or something to climb on and or hide under!

I hope this helps, feel free to shoot me a PM or just ask questions on here and I will be glad to try and help you out!!

-Chris
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Crested Gecko Question   Wed May 16, 2012 9:13 am

Thank you so much. I will pass the information on. I'll try and get more details about the size of the enclosure, temps, and such.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Crested Gecko Question   Wed May 16, 2012 10:40 am

sounds good!! Glad I could help
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crested Gecko Question   

Back to top Go down

Crested Gecko Question