VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Reptile things I could do without..........

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Don

PostSubject: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed May 09, 2012 8:44 pm

Popping an adult male and getting pee squirted in my face. Yes, it happened this morning.

Next.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
MADKATTER
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed May 09, 2012 9:22 pm

Sounds like he had a pissy attitude!
[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed May 09, 2012 9:27 pm

Thats bad...

Back to top Go down
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed May 09, 2012 9:31 pm

Big Brother trying to take them away!! No
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed May 09, 2012 9:58 pm

pooping...peeing...and or dumping the water bowl within an hour of cleaning cage
Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed May 09, 2012 10:02 pm

not having enough females!
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed May 09, 2012 10:03 pm

I hate this one..... The internet says
Back to top Go down
Cp3_Pythons
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed May 09, 2012 10:10 pm

Defecating or urinating anywhere within the first hour of cleaning the cage's... Having an adult Burm defecate on you down your back while your handling her...
Back to top Go down
dsteamn
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed May 09, 2012 11:56 pm

Ewwwwww! I'll bet that's a mess.

I could do without people who buy animals because they think they're cool without the first ounce of knowledge about how to take care of them.
Back to top Go down
dsteamn
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed May 09, 2012 11:57 pm

Oh, and mouth, tail and scale rot. They are no fun either.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Thu May 10, 2012 9:10 am

Tipping over water bowls right after I cleaned the cages.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Thu May 10, 2012 10:26 am

Not eating females!!

Poop stuck in corners and crevices.

Fluctuating temps.

Long breeding seasons.

Stinky rats. Vegetarian balls FTW.

Slugs.

Did I mention non-eaters?

Males with small hemipenes.

Melamine.

Bacteria.

Non-eaters.

Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Thu May 10, 2012 11:52 am

Wow Nick could it be any longer?

I hate the tipped water bowls (we havent had too many issues lately) and then when you put fresh water in and clean the tub and then they move the bedding around and it goes into the clean water bowl..

I have been pooped/peed on a few times but not recently since we have moved

MESSY BPs... we have a select few that just destroy their tubs. Move their hides everywhere, their poop is like on the bare tub like they moved the bedding just to do it, then all the bedding is wet and the water bowl is covered with their hide... it just looks gross...

We just cleaned tubs last night so I am curious as to who has made a mess already today when I get home.

I don't really have alot of other issues right now..

Other than the wait for the eggs to start hatching.... feels like it will take FOREVER... *sigh*
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Thu May 10, 2012 12:21 pm

ew last week one pooped and then looked like she was trying to hide in it
Back to top Go down
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Thu May 10, 2012 12:36 pm

people telling me how cruel i am for "killing" mice and rats, and how discusting it is to have snakes and how its wrong that i love them so much............
Back to top Go down
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Thu May 10, 2012 1:18 pm

Even more irritating is the gagging shudder that some people feel the need to make at the mere mention of a reptile.

I am also quickly growing tired of the "I've got a [foot long/bright red/colorful] snake [that pisses everywhere/that wiggles a lot/that escaped las week/that I like to hold]

Once was kind of funny...but I'm tired of hearing about peoples ding-a-lings.

I hate when the poop on the very edge of the newspaper and I try to gentlypull the newspaper to me and the poop rolls off in the back of the cage.

I hate 1100g gorgeous dinker bps that only eat live female colored mice under 60g .

Poop down my back is not a favorite.

Back to top Go down
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Thu May 10, 2012 1:51 pm

haha you have a picky eater? im lucky that all my babies are good eaters i kinda lucked out with that one.

oh yea people also say that im "disturbed" because when i talk about my snakes i call them my babies haha ......apparently it is acceptable for people to say that about their dogs and cats, but never snakes

i hate it when the mice bite you....that finnaly happend to me the other day.....i did not like it at all i was gonna keep him and breed him with my female but instead i threw him into the tank with most "energetic" eater
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Thu May 10, 2012 3:12 pm

We do that when there are aggressive rats that try to bite, I find the most aggressive eater and watch her kill him...does it make me morbid?

I also dislike the comments and remarks I hear... only a few people are ok with it. I have gotten my mom into holding them. She loves our pied female and says she is going to kidnap it. Thank god we have a deadbolt that can ONLY be opened with the key.

I hear that I am going to go "goth" next because I like snakes... I too also talk to my snakes like they are babies, call them my babies, love them dearly. boyfriends mom last night was helping change water bowls and heard me talking to them Very Happy she was like "are u talking to them like they can hear you" well yes I am because I think they understand me and they love me and I love them Smile

I call them my babies too... and I told everyone I am goin to be a new snake parent when my eggs hatch... heh... oh the crazy looks..
Back to top Go down
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Thu May 10, 2012 3:50 pm

i dont think it makes you morbid ^_^ i make comentary when i watch mine eat....lol

wait how does the fact that you like nakes make you a "goth" that makes no sense......thats the first time ive heard that one.

oh have you gotten the "what are you gonna do if you wake up one night getting strangled" talk?? i get that all the time. you know because we let them roam free in the house and all. its not like we keep them in tanks or tubs and have lids and clamps to prevent them from getting out or anything hahaha
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Thu May 10, 2012 5:06 pm

Yeah we get the "what if they get loose?" and im like "well if they get loose, they are in a room with a shut door that is locked and deadbolted so I dont see them getting out. The only "air vent" in the room is a "between the wall" one at the top and its just to let the air circulate... it cracks me up.

and the "what if it eats you or your cat"... I chuckle because everyone is so worried about snakes because of that they see on TV... I was one of those crazies that believed that crazy crap on TV and so was my mom... and my mom is one of those "set in her ways" kind of people... but she was open to looking then wanted to hold and now loves them and comes by just to see them... I love that part of it... educating and opening up people to them.
Back to top Go down
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Thu May 10, 2012 5:13 pm

haha yea well mine doesnt have a deadbolt on it and im sure that if they wanted to they could squirm under the door, but im pretty sure that they would want to stay in their room. expecially since i like it cold so my house is usually about 68 degrees or so and their room is about 75 degrees ......doesnt seem like much of a difference but still lol
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Thu May 10, 2012 5:25 pm

big difference... so I goess Reptile things I could do without would be the stereotyping people that think we are all nuts.
Back to top Go down
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Thu May 10, 2012 5:58 pm

One of our members got musked in the face by a rat snake ones as he was trying to grab it from a tree. Right in the face...
Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Thu May 10, 2012 6:03 pm

lol ...we will need a name
Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Thu May 10, 2012 8:24 pm

having your most expensive snake roll around in his own poop about 20 minutes after cleaning the tub and changing the paper...
Back to top Go down
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Fri May 11, 2012 8:33 am

hahaha realy in the face? and i thought it was bad when one of my baby corns pooped in my hair when i was holding him
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Fri May 11, 2012 10:10 am

Phorid flies
Back to top Go down
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Fri May 11, 2012 10:13 am

what is a phorid fly? i searched it up but only skimmed the information. do they do something to the reptiles? are they something to look out for like mites or are they just more of an anoyance?
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Fri May 11, 2012 10:35 am

I'm tired of the follow up comments that contain "wait, you have a kid AND snakes?"
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Fri May 11, 2012 2:27 pm

Me too Nick! and the "what does your kid think?" ha.. I freak them out with the "well she holds them, likes to help change water, likes to watch them eat, tells them to 'to get that rat Daphne, kill it!' with excitement"... heh... people are funny
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Fri May 11, 2012 4:13 pm

I love the "What are you going to do when your snake eats your cat/dog/kid?"

Another reptile thing I could do without......when you decide to take pictures of everyone and the prettiest snakes are in shed. Great timing!

I hear you on the non-eating females. I have one female that is SOOO picky. She's an '06 and weighs just over 1000g. (She's been this way for several years because she simply will not gain weight) She MUST be in a 16qt tub. Anything larger and she stops eating. Anything smaller and she doesn't fit. It used to be she would only eat live white rat weans, but recently I switched her over to f/t small rats and she eats them ALMOST every week.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Sat May 12, 2012 11:37 am

Phorid flies are just pesky. I keep a lot of my herps on soil and that tends to help the flies reproduce. In addition they really like the nectar eating geckos' food. They are much more of a problem up in the warm room in the summer. If we are talking about things people say that annoy the hell out of you then mine would be "what are all of their names"...
Back to top Go down
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Tue May 15, 2012 5:03 pm

.......people i work with seeing me look at pics of snakes and say "you know your 'fetish' with snakes is creepy"........................yea that totally just hapened to me like 2 min ago while i was looking at someone elses post.......so much fun
Back to top Go down
Nfarrown
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Tue May 15, 2012 6:07 pm

I've been told that I'm irresponsible because I let my son handle the snakes. He's been doing it since he was 2 and he's always supervised. I meanf come on people...at least he's not runnin around causing trouble.

I feel ya on the picky eaters and the messes right after they're cleaned.
Back to top Go down
Jaded_Heart
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:43 pm

Reptile things I could do without.... ::fake ghetto voice:: All da Haterz! Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/PrymalReptile
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:50 pm

all the people saying "how could you let that satan creature eat a cute little mouse? Sad"... psh,
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:08 pm

MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITES. Mites. A thousand times mites.

Respiratory infections in BPs.

Picky eaters, schizophrenic spider BPs and their head wobbles, faulty thermostats.

Gonna agree with everyone else on saying tipping the damn water bowls and/or peeing/pooping as soon as the newly-cleaned tub is shut.

Let's see, what else? Crazy rodent enthusiasts, stupid people who know nothing about snakes and the ignorant and close-minded questions they make, crazed hardcore Christians who tell me I'm keeping children of Satan, being pooped/peed on, the insane vet bills.

All in all? Worth it. But geez, some days you just want to punch people.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/siobhan.sprouse
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:12 pm

haha im a christian, but one things for sure... you'll never here me call anyone a child of satan for keeping any kind of animal!! , i agree though. there are many christians who dont take things into consideration and say things that they know nothing about.. dont let that give us all a bad name though;)
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:15 pm

No, I've met many Christians who thought snakes were really neat animals, even if they didn't keep them. That's why I added the 'crazed hardcore' part. I wanted to distinguish that I have met quite a few nice ones that were genuinely fascinated. It's just unfortunate that I've met twice as many crazy ones who told me my animals were minions of the devil. XD
Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:17 pm

exactly... im about to host a show at my church Wink lol
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:18 pm

That's awesome!!

Rattlesnakes excluded right?? lol
Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:27 pm

why not? haha, they're already scared...
Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:28 pm

jk, i wonder if they'd really let me do it haha
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:29 pm

Rattlesnakes seem to have bad luck at churches lately lol
Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:33 pm

is that right... hmm hah. the other day the preacher was like (in a joking manner) "do we have any crazy people here who keep exotic animals like alligators, pythons etc...?" me and another guy raised our hands. i felt pretty special, and calld out hahaha
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:34 pm

I'm sure you got some interesting looks lol!
Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:35 pm

oh believe me, and when it was time to get up and shake someone's hand to meet them... you should've seen the faces lol
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:00 pm

I've done children's church in front of the entire congregation (1,000 members) with a Pied Ball Python. It was a big hit with the kids, not as much with the adults. Even had one member write me a nasty letter. My lesson to the kids was that we are all God's creatures and he loves us all, even snakes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:23 pm

agreed!, he made everything, "and saw that it was good" - Genesis
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reptile things I could do without..........   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1