VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Virginia Native Herp Trivia For May 1-May 6

Go down 
AuthorMessage
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator

PostSubject: Virginia Native Herp Trivia For May 1-May 6   Tue May 01, 2012 9:39 am

What native species of lizard is this?
Bonus question: how do you differentiate this species from another similar species that also lives in Virginia?

Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Virginia Native Herp Trivia For May 1-May 6   Tue May 01, 2012 10:16 am

I believe it a broad- head skink. The bonus I don't know. The one around here tend to have a redder head. And I've cought a few and been bit by them, they have a good bit.
Back to top Go down
David_Means
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Virginia Native Herp Trivia For May 1-May 6   Tue May 01, 2012 1:45 pm

That would be a Common Five-lined Skink- Plestiodon fasciatus

Bonus question: how do you differentiate this species from another similar species that also lives in Virginia?

Answer: The Common Five-lined Skink- Plestiodon fasciatus has four upper labial scales where the Broad headed Skink- Plestiodon laticeps has five upper labial scales.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Virginia Native Herp Trivia For May 1-May 6   Tue May 01, 2012 9:16 pm

Rats, I got it backwards again?
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Virginia Native Herp Trivia For May 1-May 6   Tue May 01, 2012 9:30 pm

This is a slightly better photo of the same animal pictured above.
Back to top Go down
MADKATTER
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Virginia Native Herp Trivia For May 1-May 6   Wed May 02, 2012 10:15 am

And therefore... a broad head skink. BTW Larry, these little trivia things are awesome!
Back to top Go down
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Virginia Native Herp Trivia For May 1-May 6   Wed May 02, 2012 10:18 am

MADKATTER wrote:
And therefore... a broad head skink. BTW Larry, these little trivia things are awesome!
iagree cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Virginia Native Herp Trivia For May 1-May 6   Mon May 07, 2012 11:03 am

So yes. This is in fact a Broad Headed skink: Plastiodon laticeps. The Broad heads have 5 upper labial scales as opposed to the 5-lined skinks, which have only 4.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Virginia Native Herp Trivia For May 1-May 6   

Back to top Go down

Virginia Native Herp Trivia For May 1-May 6
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Virginia Herpetological Society News and Events :: VHS Conservation and Education News-
Jump to: