VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Is there such a thing....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Is there such a thing....   Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:50 am

As working with too many species? There are so many species I want to keep and breed and I wonder how I'll keep up with it all. I hope to one day be a professional reptile breeder (kinda like the big guys, but not THAT big), but I find myself wanting to work with sooooo many different things.

Pythons:
Ball Pythons
Carpet Pythons
Blood Pythons
Super Dwarf Retics
Olive Pythons
Green Tree Pythons

Boas:
Columbian Red Tail Boas
Rainbow Boas
Kenyan Sand Boas

Other Snakes:
Corn snakes
King Snakes
Hognose
Milk Snakes

Lizards:
Leopard Geckos
Crested Geckos
Mourning Geckos
Fat Tailed Geckos
Bearded Dragons

And those are just the ones I want to breed. I also have several species I wish to keep as pets. So is there such a thing as working with too many species?
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing....   Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:53 am

i dont think so cuz im the same way hahaha
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing....   Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:54 am

The more I look at my plans to expand my breeding, the more I realize I will need a seperate facility from my home. lol!
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing....   Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:43 am

haha yea oh well it happens
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing....   Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:00 pm

It is possible to spread yourself and your resources too thin. I think this happens to just about everyone at one time or another. Unfortunately, we never know our limitations until we surpass them.

My suggestion is to pic a few species that you really want to work with and focus on quality.
Back to top Go down
pksnipr
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing....   Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:14 pm

i have to second that. when u start expanding your abilities sometimes you find something that's cool for a minute and then ends up being a chore. as long as you have the means and the passion go for it. when the passion begins to fade it's usually time to cut the loose ends.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing....   Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:08 pm

I also agree with jw keep what you can afford and keep what you can keep correctly. Some time those two things are not the same. So think and make changes as you go. As for working with too many, with time you will most likely thin out some things and build others.
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing....   Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:38 pm

jw wrote:
It is possible to spread yourself and your resources too thin. I think this happens to just about everyone at one time or another. Unfortunately, we never know our limitations until we surpass them.

My suggestion is to pic a few species that you really want to work with and focus on quality.

I was just going to post something like this!!! I would highly recommend just playing around with what you have and definitely expand your knowledge on other species you are interested in and go from there. If you are still interested after learning everything you can about a new species, then get one and learn from it. Then you can add more if you really want to pursue that particular species. Once you have your couple or few species that you want to work with, as JW said above, work for quality and not quantity. That is what I am doing with the few species I keep. I don't think it would be fun anymore to be like the big guys i.e. Nick Mutton and keepers like them. Yes they have awesome stuff and come out with amazing morphs and really know genetics, it takes a lot of time and I think it would take away from the enjoyment of the hobby as we have now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing....   

Back to top Go down

Is there such a thing....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1