VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Sometimes rodent lovers get on my last nerve.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Sometimes rodent lovers get on my last nerve.   Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:40 pm

I wish the two communities could exist with a mutual if testy respect for one another. But it seems that as soon as snakes are mentioned rat owners assume I'm a terrible person who sits up at night thinking of ways to torture their animals. The moment it's mentioned the name calling and broad character judgments begin.

it irritates me.
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes rodent lovers get on my last nerve.   Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:54 pm

sounds like a good story is to be told Cool
Back to top Go down
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes rodent lovers get on my last nerve.   Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:49 pm

yea i know what ya mean. some one wouldnt let me buy their hamster because i told them i had snakes. everthing had been fine we had set a time for me to come get them and i said something bout wanting something fuzzy to play with since my snake isnt and they went off. its just completely uncalled for. haha
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes rodent lovers get on my last nerve.   Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:03 pm

Some rat owners can be unreal. I breed rats for fun, as pets and for food so when I see rats for sale on CL, I check them out to see what's out there, well I use to. What pisses me off more than anything, is when the ad says "asking $30 so it won't end up as snake food." That's no different than me saying "asking $50 for my dog so it won't end up as someones dinner." That's just rude and being a snake owner, I think most of us would refuse to spend more than $3 for a rat as food. If you are going to mark your animal up, don't try to use snake owners as a tool.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes rodent lovers get on my last nerve.   Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:29 pm

Focal...seen that tons of times on craigs list and it never insulted me until now 8 ) they do mark it way up so they can get money because we would not pay for it if it was just a little above feeder price...no reason
Back to top Go down
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes rodent lovers get on my last nerve.   Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:22 pm

I try to be a educated person, I don't keep any animal including feeders unless I know how to properly care for it. But some of the conjecture of the rodent loving community comes from a place of really caring for the animal and wanting the best for it, but not knowing jack didley squat about the animal's true needs.

OMG affraid you breed rats TO FEED THEM TO SNAKES?!?! If you truly cared about the life of the animal you would NEVER even think to feed it. It sickens me to know there's people like you.
This one always gets me: There's already enough people breeding reptile food out there, you don't need to make more.

And not only is the internet absolutely supersaturated with these mo-rons, but I come across them in my day to day life as well.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes rodent lovers get on my last nerve.   Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:00 pm

Here's one I was in Maryland at my daughters house, she kept a snake. We went to the local store where she gets here rodents, told me to keep my mouth shut while in there. We went in she found a mouse she liked for food. Didn't tell them that, before she could get it had to sign a papers saying it wasn't for food. Fredrickburg Maryland what a joke.
Back to top Go down
Axolotl Girl
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes rodent lovers get on my last nerve.   Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:47 pm

Until very recently I was a rat owner myself (I gave them to a friend because I don't have time right now to give them the attention they need) and I've never had a problem with people feeding rodents to snakes and most of the rodent owners I know feel the same way, not all of us are totally crazy Smile

Usually the crazy ones are just the loudest and try the hardest to make themselves known, so they're the ones that end up representing the rest of us unfortunately, the same seems to go for the small number of snake owners that "show off" the cruel ways they treat some animals before they feed them to their snakes, I know that they're a minority but apparently not everyone realizes that.

By the way, Steve, was it a large chain store your daughter got her mouse from? I know the store I work at has the same policy throughout the company. Our rodents are way overpriced for feeders anyways although we do have some people who want to pay $10 for a very very small rat for a feeder despite there being a store less than 20 minutes away from us with reasonably priced feeders.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes rodent lovers get on my last nerve.   Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:53 pm

It was a smaller place, and I believe the thing was $10. For a while I would bring her frozen, but it was a black rat and would not always eat that, she ended up giving it to a local friend that still has it.
Back to top Go down
Axolotl Girl
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes rodent lovers get on my last nerve.   Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:04 pm

Yeah, if they didn't sell frozen then I don't think it's very fair that they wouldn't sell live feeders, but if that's what they choose to do then there's not much to be done about it I suppose. The store I work at sells frozen feeders from pinky mice to medium rats (maybe large too), as do most stores around here that I know of.
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes rodent lovers get on my last nerve.   Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:12 am

Back in my pet store days we would hear comments from time to time about how cruel it is to feed rodents to snakes. I would usually ask if that person was a vegetarian. Most of the time the answer was "no" and I would mention that neither are snakes. If someone answered yes then I would remind them that snakes are born predators and not able to choose.
Chip
Back to top Go down
MADKATTER
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes rodent lovers get on my last nerve.   Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:25 am

Lesson #1 on "How to deflect rabid rodent lovers":

Step 1: Upon hearing the words "If you truly cared about the life of the animal you would NEVER even think to feed it. It sickens me to know there's people like you" reach into your pocket and retrieve your Bible.

Step 2: Look said moron in the eyes and say in your deepest most backwoods southern accent "Allow me to show you in the Bible where we have dominion over all animals as bestowed on us by the Good Lord himself and by the way have you given your life to Jeezus?"

Step 3: Chuckle to oneself as tree hugging hippie runs away.

P.S.
No offense to any tree hugging hippies or deeply religious people who may frequent this site.

P.P.S.
If you took offense to anything in this post then you don't have a sense of humor and I hate you anyway.

P.P.P.S
You know you read step 2 in your deepest southern accent. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes rodent lovers get on my last nerve.   Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:13 am

hahahaha thats just awsome^^^^

i get called a tree hugger, hippie, flower child ectby all my friends cuz i dont like meat, i love to wear big flowing skirts, go around barefoot, and love nature lol

......i have 5 corns and a ball.......i think its fun to watch them eat......i even make my own comentary hahahaha
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes rodent lovers get on my last nerve.   Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:33 pm

We bred rats for a while to cut down on feeding costs, but when we moved and had to downsize, we just didn't have the room, time or need to keep all of them.

I agree, they are pretty intelligent little creatures and have great capacities to learn. However, snakes have been around for a looooooooooooong time, and if 'the powers that be' had such an issue with snakes eating rats, snakes wouldn't have evolved to do just that.

Mice on the other hand, I have a huge issue with people defending. A mouse brain and a snake brain is the EXACT same hard-wiring, just in two very different packages. Mouse and snake brain are both very linear.

"Am I comfortable?"----> "Yes? Carry on" "No? Why am I not comfortable?"
"Am I hungry?"----> "Yes? Eat" "No? then that's not why I'm not comfortable"
"Am I thirsty?"----> "Yes? Drink" "No? Then that's not it either."
Obviously, in not so many words, but in basically the same format. Snakes and mice are pretty much at the exact same rung on the brainpower scale.

I'm fairly certain no one who goes on these tangents has the right to decree a rodent's life as more valuable than a serpent's, lest they are all secretly mouse-loving, reptile-hating angels in disguise.

Also, Madkatter = hero status
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/siobhan.sprouse
dsteamn
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes rodent lovers get on my last nerve.   Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:50 pm

Being a pet rat owner (and lover), I see where they are coming from. I look at my rats as pet puppies rather than rodents. You can get very attached to them because of their intelligence and interaction with you.

HOWEVER, being that rats and mice are what a snakes diet is comprised of, they need to understand that you are not trying to single out their beloved breed. You are just carrying out nature's design. I can understand their disgust and displeasure with the situation, but I am also realistic to know that the animals being fed are not pets. They have not been handled and treated as 'puppies' who interact with people on a daily basis. When I worked for the pet store and people came in for feeders, I had to put my animal loving emotions aside and treat them like produce rather than pets. People who don't have a love for reptiles as you do should try and look at it in that sense.....

AND GET OVER THEMSELVES!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes rodent lovers get on my last nerve.   

Back to top Go down

Sometimes rodent lovers get on my last nerve.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1