VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Virginia Tech Exotics Found in Steam Tunnel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Don

PostSubject: Virginia Tech Exotics Found in Steam Tunnel   Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:23 am

Click Here for Story

This doesn't help the cause.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Virginia Tech Exotics Found in Steam Tunnel   Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:48 am

No it doesnt... such a shame too.
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Virginia Tech Exotics Found in Steam Tunnel   Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:51 am

Great.....
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Virginia Tech Exotics Found in Steam Tunnel   Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:01 am

I agree. I cannot figure out why they just didn't release the black widow however, unless it is a different species than what we have all over the place here.
Chip
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Virginia Tech Exotics Found in Steam Tunnel   Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:55 am

Releasing the spider this time of year would most likely result in its death due to exposure.

It is nice that the paper reporting the story did not sensationalize it. And although the animals kept were prohibited, they appeared to be in good health. Just kids being kids.
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Virginia Tech Exotics Found in Steam Tunnel   Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:14 pm

Normally I would agree about the spider not surviving in February. We are having a very mild winter this year however. Last night a moth was flying around one of the lights out back. Also, I once read that there is a breeding population of house geckos (not sure which Hemidactylus species) living in those steam tunnels. I cannot remember where I saw this so I am not sure how accurate that story is but the black widow would probably be very comfortable down there. If I had to speculate I would say one of the kids got caught having the animals in their living quarters.
Chip
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Virginia Tech Exotics Found in Steam Tunnel   Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:45 pm

Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Virginia Tech Exotics Found in Steam Tunnel   Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:17 pm

Thank you for the links. Interesting about the other locales in Virginia. I personally do not think that it is too exciting field herping for house geckos (I have found them under bark in Florida and Hawaii) but it would still be neat to run across one in Blacksburg I suppose.
Chip
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Virginia Tech Exotics Found in Steam Tunnel   

Back to top Go down

Virginia Tech Exotics Found in Steam Tunnel
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1