VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Carpet Python enclosures

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Carpet Python enclosures   Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:52 pm

Its been over a month since I got my little carpet python babies and I'm happy to report they are doing well. The male has fed twice and the female has fed once. I think it just took them some time to settle in, but they They still have two months to go in QT but I'd like to go ahead and decorate their enclosures a bit now and once their QT is up, I'll move them into the reptile room. Each one is in a 10g tank with aspen bedding, a ceramic water dish, two hides (coconut halves) and a vine with leaves. And they officially have names. It was kind of my husband and I trying to think up names and jokingly we talked about naming the female Red (as in red carpet) and the male Shag (as in shag carpet) and it just kind of stuck.

I'd like to make the enclosures look more natural since I plan to use these as display snakes (most likely I will never breed them since I do not know what there genetics are).

Any advice on how to decorate the tanks? Does anyone have any pics of how they keep their carpet pythons?

Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Carpet Python enclosures   Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:17 pm

First of all I would really advise to stay away from aquariums with this species. They do require a constant humidity. They will survive in lower humidity levels, but you at least want it to be around 40-50% some will say even more. Plus a nice snake cage with sliding glass doors(obviously once they are big enough to live in one) are awesome looking and stackable. Plus you can provide radiant heat panels and hook up a thermostat to one cage that will run two cages and keep the temp stable. Here are a few pics of my cage...I have another one just like it, but don't have anything big enough to live in it yet. Plus depending on how old and the size of them, I would highly recommend using plastic shoe boxes to keep them in, with paper towel as substrate or newspaper, and have a few pieces of plastic set up so they can perch on them. I also do not use bedding in my adults enclosure. It is much easier to make sure you clean it well (they do produce tons of fluid as I am sure you know). I am not sure how you keep your balls (rack system, or cages?), but I assume you do have a pretty good knowledge about keeping snakes in general. I was just throwing out some advice for you. Also if you have not gotten one yet, I would highly recommend buying the book The Complete Carpet Python by Nick Mutton and Justin Julander PhD. It is one of the best reptile books I have ever had and or read. It covers everything imaginable with these guys!

sorry about the novel above....here are the pics of one of my cages.

you can see the radiant heat panel here. If you buy a cage from somewhere like Boaphile etc... you can have these installed. I really like them and highly recommend them along with a thermostat (I use Helix, but there are other good options out there)

I installed a LED light in the top center for ease of viewing....

I hope this helps.....hit me up if you have any other questions. BTW what species of Carpet do you have?
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Carpet Python enclosures   Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:56 pm

Thanks!!!!

The tanks are just temporary until I can get the stackable cages. I will definitely be looking into radiant heat panels for these guys. I keep my ball pythons in racks. Humidity stays around 40% in my apartment.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Carpet Python enclosures   

Back to top Go down

Carpet Python enclosures
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1