VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Needing a HUGE favor!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gustav

PostSubject: Needing a HUGE favor!   Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:56 am

Looks like my redtail has come down with mouth rot. Does anyone near Chesapeake have any anti-biotics they are willing to part with?Sorry for the moochin but I am so broke right now and don't have the money to get to a vet.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Needing a HUGE favor!   Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:55 am

If your snake has mouth rot, you need to have it taken to a vet for proper diagnosis and treatment. You can't just start treating with antibiotics without knowing exactly what you have and what antibiotics to use.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Needing a HUGE favor!   Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:17 am

ClarkeReptiles wrote:
If your snake has mouth rot, you need to have it taken to a vet for proper diagnosis and treatment. You can't just start treating with antibiotics without knowing exactly what you have and what antibiotics to use.

Well you can, but it might not do any good and a lot of antibiotics have side effects that you don't want to subject your animal to if it isn't necessary. A lot of injectable antibiotics burn and can cause different skin problems and lumping under the skin. Like baytril is highly cytotoxic and nephrotoxic and amikacin, I believe, is used for mouthrot and it is also highly nephrotoxic. It's definitely best to take you animal to the vet....
Back to top Go down
Gustav

PostSubject: Re: Needing a HUGE favor!   Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:22 am

He has a cut on the roof of his mouth that has gotten infected. I have been rinsing the mouth with diluted peroxide and have heard of diluted iodine. Guess I'll try that next. It's not getting any worse but it's only been 4 days since it started. Getting to the vet is not an option. Feed the kids or pay the vet. You can guess the only option I have.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Needing a HUGE favor!   Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:29 am

Triple antibiotic cream from walmart will help the cut and it's cheap. Make sure it does NOT have the added pain relief option. Apply with q-tip and bump up the temps a bit. I'll call after work.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Needing a HUGE favor!   Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:37 am

BTW, if the snake is too cold, it will be harder for it to heal itself. I would not let the ambient temps drop below 80.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Needing a HUGE favor!   Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:48 am

Gustav wrote:
He has a cut on the roof of his mouth that has gotten infected. I have been rinsing the mouth with diluted peroxide and have heard of diluted iodine. Guess I'll try that next. It's not getting any worse but it's only been 4 days since it started. Getting to the vet is not an option. Feed the kids or pay the vet. You can guess the only option I have.

With all due respect, if you cannot properly care for an animal, then you should not have it. It would probably be best for you and the snake if you surrendered it to a reptile rescue.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Needing a HUGE favor!   Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:54 am

I agree with jw. I've had reptiles with injuries before and they healed up fine without the need for a vet, but if the animal has mouth rot, or a cut in its mouth that you believe may be infected, it is best to take it to a qualified vet. If you cannot provide the animal with proper vet care, it is best that you surrender the animal.

Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Needing a HUGE favor!   Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:54 am

Focal wrote:
Triple antibiotic cream from walmart will help the cut and it's cheap. Make sure it does NOT have the added pain relief option. Apply with q-tip and bump up the temps a bit. I'll call after work.

Scratch that! I was thinking the top of the nose. I wouldn't put it in the roof of the mouth, sorry.
Back to top Go down
Gustav

PostSubject: Re: Needing a HUGE favor!   Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:09 pm

Wow.... Thanks for all the help and makin me feel like a turd. I've had the snake for 8 years now. ALL of my animals are well taken care of. My job is seasonal so money is tight at the moment.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Needing a HUGE favor!   Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:25 pm

My apologies, the intent was not meant to make you feel bad about yourself. However, properly caring for an animal includes caring for them when they are ill and taking them to a vet when necessary.
Back to top Go down
pksnipr
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Needing a HUGE favor!   Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:31 pm

not a vet so don't quote me. i have had friends with bps that use listerine swabs for mouth rot and they have cleared up almost immediately. use the old fashioned stuff not the minty goodness and do it two to three times a day. ive seen their reaction to it so i would suggest for your own safety to have someone help you.

on another note i understand the previous comments about surrendering the animal to a rescue and i agree that if care is something that cannot be given for an extended period then rescue may be the road to go. however, the guy is on here trying to do the right thing for his animal. i believe most of us at some point in our lives have had a bad turn of events. sometimes we get through it ok and well sometimes maybe not so much. i'm sure there is a way to ammend the situation in a positve manner rather than suggest relenquishing one's pet. just my 2 cents for what it's worth.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Needing a HUGE favor!   Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:34 pm

George takes very well care of his pets. Being only four days into it and knowing George, he's probably more worried than needed.

George I called and left a message. Give me a call and I'll come out and take a look at him. I know a vet that is more reasonable than you might have thought.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Needing a HUGE favor!   Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:41 pm

What kind of antibiotic do you need?
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Needing a HUGE favor!   Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:25 am

The snake has seen the vet and is on oral antibiotics.
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Needing a HUGE favor!   Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:37 am

Focal wrote:
The snake has seen the vet and is on oral antibiotics.

which antibiotic? if you dont mind me asking.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Needing a HUGE favor!   Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:39 am

I'll ask and find out. He took him to Pet Care and I'm assuming enrofloxacin.
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Needing a HUGE favor!   Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks, I was just curious Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Needing a HUGE favor!   

Back to top Go down

Needing a HUGE favor!