VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Corn snake's unusual behaviour

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tia-Lewise

PostSubject: Corn snake's unusual behaviour   Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:17 am

My four year old corn snake Levi was let out of her tank by my little sister some time ago. She resurfaced four months later alive and well in the toilet, but since then- and it's been about eight months- she's been restless and jumpy. She never used to mind me putting my hands in her tank to clean her out or change her water but now she jumps out and on occasion snaps at me. She eats well and seems healthy in general so I'm wondering why she is acting this way? She used to be fairly laid back, and I wish I had her like that again. I can't even touch her or hold her now.
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake's unusual behaviour   Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:08 am

im no expert on corns, but if i was let out of my very comfortable, secure, safe house into a world of weird noises, smells and what not i would probably be timid too. you dont have any idea where she has been, what she has been through and what she could have encountered.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake's unusual behaviour   Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:13 am

Yup, I've had some snakes go wild for a few days after having escaped for just one, lol. I think with time she will learn to trust again. I'm not sure if snakes have good memories, but this is all probably new to her again and she's more like a wild animal this time around.

Actually just read your post again. Eight months after is long. Are you handling her/him much or are you intimidated by her actions? From what I've learned, if they snap at you, don't let them win, don't let them know their actions are working. They will continue to display the same attitude everytime. They don't naturally seek human affection, debateable, but that's what I believe. You can get them to tolerate it, but you can't give in. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Tia-Lewise

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake's unusual behaviour   Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:54 am

I know corn snakes are bluffers, if she ever strikes at me her mouth is closed, and I have tried to handle her but she just doesn't seem to want to. I know she was in the attic as we could hear her, and she had to be pulled out from the toilet quite forcefully as she was halfway up one of the pipes. I imagine she was quite traumatised by that incident.

Her last shed was a bit piecemeal so I think I should bath her, if I can get hold of her it may be useful so we can bond again. She was such a friendly snake, even to those who she didn't know very well. I'm glad I've found somewhere where I can get some advice, thakn you!
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake's unusual behaviour   Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:07 pm

if she came up from the toilet and was in your attic she probably got into the vent/stack in the attic/roof that is often used to clear a back up if drains in your house back up... Plumbers generally run their "snake" (no pun intendeded) down these vent stacks to clear back ups. If she went thru the vent and was going thru the drain lines, god know what she may have come up with whether it be flushing the toilet after someone going number 1 or 2... she could have been around that and taken in some of the.... crap... I really think some time is needed for her to get readjusted to her environment...

the picture below is one I printed out and it is on my desk... it gets quite a few comments since I work in a plumbing office Smile

Back to top Go down
Tia-Lewise

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake's unusual behaviour   Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:12 pm

We did actually have to flush the toilet in her face a few times to block off her air and convince her to come back down...I was worried she might have been contaminated but she was nice and plump, and she seems very healthy and active, no trace of mites or anything. She actually laid eggs a while after coming down (she had mated the year before and I have heard they save some sperm for the next batch) but they were all duds, presumably through lack of nutrients during her little escapade. Her previous batch were lovely and healthy grey snakes for some reason...I could never get my head round that. She's a half albino but I doubt that had anything to do with it
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake's unusual behaviour   Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:17 pm

after you flush, sometimes residue from fecal matter resides in the drains a little bit, so not knowing how long she could have been IN the drain if you knew she was in the attic could be an issue.. and some houses their main drain is the drain that all of the fixtures tie into so if you dump stuff down your kitchen drain, or the washing machine/laundry detergent stuff... Just keep a real close eye on her... I dont want to scare you and don't know which things like that may be harmful but its a possiblity she could have ingested something in the drain not intentionally and it could be affecting her... or it could be nothing and she is just timid and scared and I would probably lean more towards that but just letting you know its a possibility
Back to top Go down
Tia-Lewise

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake's unusual behaviour   Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:22 pm

Don't worry, I have considered it, but after eight months I would wager she's just a little nervous still. I'm going to try and handle her more and see if she calms down after remembering I'm not a threat to her.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake's unusual behaviour   Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:58 pm

Make sure the enclosure temperatures are correct and there is a proper thermal gradient.

The tolerance rat/corn snakes have to human interaction varies greatly between individuals. Rat/corn snakes are typically very tolerant, but there are always exceptions. Frequent, short term handling sessions may help. Refrain from handling her for 48 hours after feeding and during shed cycles.

Best of luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake's unusual behaviour   

Back to top Go down

Corn snake's unusual behaviour
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1