VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

HEATING THE OVEN - TIME TO COOK!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dsteamn
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: HEATING THE OVEN - TIME TO COOK!   Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:41 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know the progress of my blueys. My female woke up a couple of days ago from her long hard brumation. I put her in with my male and she immediately showed signs of interest. (The male always seems to be ready - go figure. Smile ) They were rubbing together and getting amorous but it was all basically foreplay. I put them together again yesterday morning and they got right down to business in a matter of seconds. The breeder I got my female from said he breeds them once or twice a day for about a week, and she lets him know when she's had enough (again - go figure). When I put them back together in the early evening, my poor Stubbs was totally exhausted and wanted no part of her. She rubbed all over him and tried to get him interested, but it just was not to be. We were in the den adding sub-titles to the silent action movie we were watching. After the giggles and laughing, I can't imagine either of them would have wanted to do anything, but she was persistent. I finally took her out. She must have been sexually frustrated because she actually puffed at me, a behavior I have seen from the male but never from her. He was relieved and went right to sleep. We'll try again this afternoon. If it takes, I'm thinking we'll have babies the end of May or first of June.

Updates to follow.
Back to top Go down
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: HEATING THE OVEN - TIME TO COOK!   Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:44 pm

hahaha congrats! hopefully there will be better luck this afternoon
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: HEATING THE OVEN - TIME TO COOK!   Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:53 pm

For a reef person you've come a long way. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: HEATING THE OVEN - TIME TO COOK!   Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:04 pm

congrats!!
Back to top Go down
dsteamn
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: HEATING THE OVEN - TIME TO COOK!   Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:55 pm

cryingwithlaughter Yeah Steve, no kidding. Ever since I got Stubbs, he has sure changed my mind about reptiles. Of the ten animals and the 180 gallon reef tank in my house, he's definitely my favorite. The fact that he even lived after you getting him in such horrible shape is a miracle in itself. I surely thought he would not live out the week, and was all but certain he would be sterile. But he showed us all last year and is ready and willing to do it again. He was all revived this afternoon and perked up as soon as I walked over to his tank. He was looking to see if I had her with me.

I enjoyed breeding and raising the babies last year more than anything I've done in a long time. I can't wait to see how it all turns out this year.
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: HEATING THE OVEN - TIME TO COOK!   Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:15 pm

what kind of reptile are you referring to?
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: HEATING THE OVEN - TIME TO COOK!   Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:18 pm

never mind, I looked at your previous threads.....Blue Tongue Skink?
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: HEATING THE OVEN - TIME TO COOK!   Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:19 am

Yep I believe it's the BTS's. I've been eagerly watching his progress. These guys are amazing, please keep us updated Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
dsteamn
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: HEATING THE OVEN - TIME TO COOK!   Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:09 pm

Yes, they are Northern blue tongue skinks. The male is a classic saddle tan with the black diamonds down the side. The female is a caramel. Steve has one of the babies and has posted a couple of pics.
Back to top Go down
dsteamn
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: HEATING THE OVEN - TIME TO COOK!   Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:23 pm

Oh, and you can't see the letters from this angle. They are on the left side going down her tail. Just didn't want you to think I was crazy.

Back to top Go down
dsteamn
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: HEATING THE OVEN - TIME TO COOK!   Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:25 pm

This is my rescue - Stubbs

The pic was taken back in 2009 and he was still a bit on the skinny side, but it shows his markings really well.
Back to top Go down
dsteamn
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: HEATING THE OVEN - TIME TO COOK!   Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:27 pm

Oops, the pic didn't attach. Let me try this again. Sorry about that.

Back to top Go down
dsteamn
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: HEATING THE OVEN - TIME TO COOK!   Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:34 pm

My female - Oscar Rose (long story why we have that name). This was taken the morning she went into labor. I still can't believe she had 90 inches of baby in her belly!
Back to top Go down
dsteamn
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: HEATING THE OVEN - TIME TO COOK!   Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Darn, it still didn't attach. Technology is not my friend so please bear with me.
Back to top Go down
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: HEATING THE OVEN - TIME TO COOK!   Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:54 pm

are they are very nice lookin animals! hey let me know if you get some surprises lol
Back to top Go down
dsteamn
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: HEATING THE OVEN - TIME TO COOK!   Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:35 pm

Hopefully no surprises. Last year was her first litter and she had 15 - 14 were live births; one was a stillborn 3 days later. I was only expecting about half that many since it was her first and he is 'disabled'. I will be more prepared this year.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HEATING THE OVEN - TIME TO COOK!   

Back to top Go down

HEATING THE OVEN - TIME TO COOK!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1