VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

good price?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: good price?   Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:15 pm

is $80 a good price on a male carpet python less then year old with 10 gal tank? hahaha i dont know know honestly since ive never heard of the snake untill rescently
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: good price?   Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:42 pm

Is the snake from a reputable breeder or someone else?

You can do some comparative shopping here:
http://market.kingsnake.com/index.php?cat=92

Standard ten gallon glass aquariums have very little value, perhaps none to you if the snake has already out grown it.
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: good price?   Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:10 pm

I can assure you that the 10 gallon tank is too small. Plus an aquarium will not meet the proper requirements for the species of carpet python. Looks like you should do a bunch of research on the history of the Carpet python species (Morelia Spp.) and get a good idea of what their care is like. Then you should decide on weather or not to get the snake. Buying on impulse is never a good idea. Remember just because it looks cool doesn't necessarily mean you should buy it. Once you have a good idea on the species requirements, look into what specific species of Morelia it is (Coastal, Bredli, Centralian, Jungle, Jag, Diamond etc.) then find out what that specific snake requires.

Here are a few good websites to start you off with some info.....

http://www.inlandreptile.com/ .... Nick Mutton's website...he has one of the best books out there (The Complete Carpet Python by Nick Mutton and Justin Julander PhD) and it was just published as well and covers all carpet pythons and everything that you need to know about them (I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT to anyone interested in the Carpet python)

http://www.moreliapythons.com/forums/ ....a great forum, but make sure you search around for your answers before asking simple care questions that have been covered more than once on the forums

These are just a couple of websites. There is tons of great info on Carpet Pythons all over the net. Sift through it and you will know what is good and bad.

I am not trying to be mean at all or insinuate that you do not know what you are doing. But even I as an experienced Reptile Keeper, research every species (all the ins and outs, and everything that I could possibly learn about them) that might interest me and then I MIGHT consider buying one if I still like them etc. Buying on impulse like I mentioned before that the majority of average citizens do is not a good way to go about things. You can end up in a situation that you do not want to be in simply because you didn't know.....I hope this makes since. Please ask plenty of questions as well on here if you have them.

One good reason why I am against impulse buying and not knowing what you are getting into.....
http://richmond.craigslist.org/pet/2796231621.html .....these poor reptiles end up homeless, which therefore drives new laws and bans to be proposed.

Plus if you have the info on who is selling it etc. I would be glad to try and help you out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: good price?   

Back to top Go down

good price?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1