VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Crocodile Skink?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Crocodile Skink?   Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:11 pm

does any one know where i can get one of these cute lil things? i saw a picture of one the other day and thought it was so cool looking and ive been wanting one ever since haha. also about how much do you think they sell for? ive never actually seen one in stores so im not sure. id like to avoid buying one online just cuz i dont want something to happen on the trip to me. any info would be amazing thanks ^_^
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Crocodile Skink?   Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:43 pm

You are going to get your best prices online unless you go to a show. Tribolonotus seem to be going for around 70.00 on kingsnake at the moment. At shows I have seen them for as low as 40.00. I would recommend trying to attend a show, that way you are probably going to get a better price and you can see what you are buying. If you ultimately decide to have one shipped however do not worry too much about transit problems as long as you buy from a reliable seller. If you buy from a pet store remember that brick and mortar businesses have a lot of overhead so you can probably expect to pay more.
Chip
Back to top Go down
Axolotl Girl
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Crocodile Skink?   Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:18 pm

I got mine from a small local show and paid about $55 for her. I've also seen older ones at shows for a little less (she's a few inches shorter than the ones I saw and still has some juvenile orange around her mouth), but most of the ones I've seen are also a bit on the thin side...

There's also a store nearby me in Chester that has them pretty regularly if you'd be willing to make the drive. His site is offthearkexoticpets.com, his skinks are listed at $75, but the last time I was in there they were a bit cheaper than that.

Good luck finding them, I absolutely love mine even if she does tend to be pretty elusive Smile
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Crocodile Skink?   Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:49 pm

Beware: many of the specimens at shows, though cheap, may be wild caught and have parasites. Be sure to thoroughly quarantine anything purchased at a show (and online too, but shows can be especially bad since many of the sellers are not "well known").
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.aspx?UserId=5fb7c078-e6af-4
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Crocodile Skink?   Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:49 pm

Almost all croc skinks available in the trade right now are WC. Once in a rare while a CB one will show up. Parasites can be an issue. I used to use "shotgun therapy" on all of my WC acquisitions, treating them with panacur and flagyl. Over the years however I have found that man handling smaller herps that would not gape just to squirt some meds in their mouths would sometimes cause more harm than good. Now as long as an animal is eating well and does not lose weight I generally do not concern myself with internal parasites. Axolotl girl is correct about this species elusivness, be prepared to almost never see these guys out in the open. Still though, Tribolonotus is a really neat Genus to work with. Currently Underground Reptiles is advertising another species besides gracilis on KS. At first I thought that they may be novaguinea however now I am not sure. Also it is late and I am tired so I may not have spelled those species names correctly:)
Chip
Back to top Go down
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Crocodile Skink?   Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:18 pm

hahaha thanks alot ya'll i really appreciate allthe info i think i will wait till next show and check them out there then if i dont see one im overly excited about i can always try online. too bad there isnt any breeders around here lol
Back to top Go down
Axolotl Girl
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Crocodile Skink?   Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:43 pm

I'm actually kind of surprised there aren't more people breeding them, from what I've heard from a few of the vendors I've talked to they're apparently pretty easy to breed. I guess I'll find out once mine is old enough for me to be sure of her gender because I plan on getting her a companion at that point Smile
Back to top Go down
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Crocodile Skink?   Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:14 pm

well if you do decide to breed keep me in mind haha
Back to top Go down
Axolotl Girl
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Crocodile Skink?   Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:15 pm

It probably won't be for a year or two, but I definitely will post here when I do decide to breed her
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Crocodile Skink?   Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:36 pm

I would definitely recommend keeping them with the intent of breeding. From what I understand only one or two eggs are laid at a time, this may explain why there are not more CB individuals available. In any case, because of the prehistoric appearance if imports were ever cut off the price of these guys will skyrocket. I kept a group years ago but gave them away after being tired of never seeing them. Now I have lots of invisible herps so I am seriously considering obtaining another pair.
Chip
Back to top Go down
Axolotl Girl
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Crocodile Skink?   Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:37 am

I definitely want to breed her when she's old enough, right now though she's a little more than half the size of the adults I've seen at shows and still has some juvenile coloring, so I don't know if I can tell her gender for sure yet. I've just been assuming she's a "she" because I haven't noticed raised pores on her feet, she's very quiet (I've heard males are supposed to be more "talkative"), etc, but I suppose it could just be that she's still immature. Either way, I would love to contribute to there being more CB crocodile skinks available because I know how hard it can be to find healthy ones, I think I saw 3 sets of what I thought were thin wild skinks at different shows before I found mine
Back to top Go down
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Crocodile Skink?   Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:20 am

wow yea i think i can wait untill yours is breedable haha i dont wanna chance getting a wild one or a malnurished one thats just no bueno
Back to top Go down
Axolotl Girl
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Crocodile Skink?   Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Well if you want one sooner than that, the guy I got mine from in Chester always seems to have healthy ones. I'm not certain if all the ones he carries are CB or wilds (he owns a store and gets a lot of his stuff from other people, but he's also bred a few of the skinks), but they're always nice and round and seem pretty lively. Plus they're pretty fairly priced based on what I've seen on online shops. Of course they'll almost always be cheaper at shows, but I'm always a little wary when someone has them for super cheap (the cheapest I've seen is $60 for a pair and they were by far the most sickly looking I've ever seen)
Back to top Go down
shanna66

PostSubject: Re: Crocodile Skink?   Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:31 pm

i got mine at pet paradise i think was the name of the store, my girls are captive bred. ive also seen some wild caughts for sale at animal jungle.

i want to breed my girls someday but im still on the hunt for some captive bred boys.
Back to top Go down
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Crocodile Skink?   Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:48 pm

realy? ive not seen them there. ive been to pet paradice, simply pets, and animal jungle. i get my feeders and some accesories from pet paradice and simply pets just cuz i know the people and are realy nice and i got my 2 corns from animal jungle lol.
Back to top Go down
shanna66

PostSubject: Re: Crocodile Skink?   Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:55 pm

try asking them to order them for you if you dont mind wild caught, they cant garentee captive bred
Back to top Go down
Axolotl Girl
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Crocodile Skink?   Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:36 am

I know Animal Jungle is out of them right now, I was just there today lol. They did offer to order some for me but I didn't think to ask if they were wild caught or how much they cost since I was only in for the day and don't know when I'd be able to get back to retrieve them if they did order them
Back to top Go down
shanna66

PostSubject: Re: Crocodile Skink?   Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:11 am

at pet paradise my girls were $120 each. if animal jungle gets any captive bred males please post about it so i know to drive down there and get some.

i miss living right next to animal jungle. before i just had to cross the street, now i have to drive an hour
Back to top Go down
dcninja123

PostSubject: Re: Crocodile Skink?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:23 pm

We got ours at pet paradise. Got one male and one female. Both were sold as females. $100 each is what we paid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crocodile Skink?   

Back to top Go down

Crocodile Skink?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1